Definition of heretic in English:
1A person believing in or practicing religious heresy.
- It clearly would cover any incitement of hatred by the religious against its heretics, apostates, or members of other faiths.
- He was also an ardent heretic and freethinker, maybe an out-and-out atheist, and a vocal defender of the ideas of Charles Darwin.
- The heretics Marcion and Valentinus believed that God was androgynous.
1.1A person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted.
- It is odd - odd in the extreme - that Barns, the iconoclast, the heretic, uncritically accepts the myths surrounding the birth of the Liberal Party propagated by the elders of the tribe.
- They were not, according to an older version of history that Johnson appears to accept, merely heretics reacting against an established orthodoxy.
- It enjoys demonising the elected representatives of the labour movement and treats its left critics as heretics to be cast aside and scorned.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India