- Any of a group of viral diseases caused by herpes viruses, affecting the skin (often with blisters) or the nervous system.More example sentences
- Viruses including flu, herpes, measles and chickenpox can cause pneumonia.
- Your pap smear can occasionally identify sexually transmitted diseases such as herpes or human papilloma virus.
- In combination with drug therapies, it is useful in treating skin diseases, such as psoriasis, herpes, and eczema.
- More example sentences
- The pain may precede the onset of the herpetic rash and, rarely, herpetic neuralgia can occur without the development of a rash.
- Symptoms of herpetic encephalitis may include headache, confusion, seizures, or lethargy.
- Adverse effects include true hypersensitivity, secondary bacterial and herpetic infection, and postinflammatory pigmentation changes.
late Middle English (originally used also of other skin conditions): via Latin from Greek herpēs 'shingles', literally 'creeping', from herpein 'to creep'.
More definitions of herpesDefinition of herpes in:
- The British & World English dictionary