- 1 medical name for shingles.More example sentences
- Pain is the most debilitating feature of herpes zoster, and postherpetic neuralgia is the most common long-term complication.
- Topical corticosteroids are often recommended in addition to oral antiviral agents to help reduce the pain and inflammation of herpes zoster.
- The study shows that the clinical course of herpes zoster is relatively benign and that postherpetic neuralgia rarely affects daily life.
- 1.1A herpesvirus that causes shingles and chickenpox.More example sentences
- Primary varicella infection can often be prevented or at least limited by administration of the varicella vaccine within 72 hours of exposure to chickenpox or herpes zoster.
- Doctors should exclude well established causes of skin necrosis, including herpes zoster, staphylococcal skin infections, and syphilitic chancre, before implicating arthropods at all.
- In facial palsies caused by herpes simplex virus or herpes zoster virus there remains a strong correlation between the peak severity of the palsy and the outcome.
late Middle English: from herpes and Latin zoster, from Greek zōstēr 'girdle, shingles'.
More definitions of herpes zosterDefinition of herpes zoster in:
- The British & World English dictionary