Definition of herpes zoster in English:
1 medical name for shingles.
- Pain is the most debilitating feature of herpes zoster, and postherpetic neuralgia is the most common long-term complication.
- Topical corticosteroids are often recommended in addition to oral antiviral agents to help reduce the pain and inflammation of herpes zoster.
- The study shows that the clinical course of herpes zoster is relatively benign and that postherpetic neuralgia rarely affects daily life.
1.1A herpesvirus that causes shingles and chickenpox.
- Primary varicella infection can often be prevented or at least limited by administration of the varicella vaccine within 72 hours of exposure to chickenpox or herpes zoster.
- Doctors should exclude well established causes of skin necrosis, including herpes zoster, staphylococcal skin infections, and syphilitic chancre, before implicating arthropods at all.
- In facial palsies caused by herpes simplex virus or herpes zoster virus there remains a strong correlation between the peak severity of the palsy and the outcome.
Definition of herpes zoster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan