Definition of herpetology in English:
The branch of zoology concerned with reptiles and amphibians.
- The coverage of research is extensive enough that it should be useful to researchers, but the book is written for a more general audience making it suitable as a supplementary text for a general zoology or herpetology course.
- According to the Wildlife Warden, V. Ganesan, the study of amphibians and reptiles, known as herpetology, had begun to attract the attention of biologists in the recent times.
- Big-eyed amphibians peer out from nearly every page of this collaborative effort by the curator of herpetology at the Bronx Zoo and the editor-in-chief of Wildlife Conservation magazine.
- Example sentences
- He published his first herpetological article (on a marsupial frog in his own collection) at age fourteen.
- Dr. Raxworthy has nearly 20 years of experience conducting herpetological fieldwork in Madagascar, which includes a wide range of habitats and an exceptional diversity of species, many of which are found nowhere else.
- They are deposited in the herpetological collection of Laboratorio de Anfibios e Repteis, Departamento de Zoologia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Example sentences
- He was primarily a herpetologist and mammalogist and he described many genera and species that are still used today.
- H. Robert Bustard is a Scottish herpetologist with a special interest in crocodilians and chelonians.
- Some herpetologists thought those results suggested the likelihood of interbreeding among local populations of the same species.
Definition of herpetology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan