(also hetaira /-ˈtīrə/)
noun (plural hetaeras or hetaerae /-ˈti(ə)rē/)
- A courtesan or mistress, especially one in ancient Greece akin to the modern geisha.More example sentences
- A number of the women had time to develop their minds in between flaunting their bodies, more like geisha girls, or the hetaerae of ancient Greece, than modern-day porn stars.
- In ancient Greece female professional musicians were usually slaves and prostitutes, such as the highly educated hetairai who often sang and accompanied themselves on the lyre.
- This has been a traditional marketing angle in the sex industry, dating back to Roman times when the hetaerae, or foreign women, commanded the highest prices for sexual services.
from Greek hetaira, feminine of hetairos 'companion'.
More definitions of hetaeraDefinition of hetaera in:
- The British & World English dictionary