- Chromosome material of different density from normal (usually greater), in which the activity of the genes is modified or suppressed. Compare with euchromatin.More example sentences
- The organization of DNA into euchromatin and heterochromatin is implicated in gene silencing.
- Numerous genes act to remodel and repress chromatin in heterochromatin and around euchromatic genes during development.
- Thus, the density of genes in heterochromatin is about 1% of that in euchromatin.
More definitions of heterochromatinDefinition of heterochromatin in:
- The British & World English dictionary