Definition of heterosexism in English:
Discrimination or prejudice against homosexuals on the assumption that heterosexuality is the normal sexual orientation.
- As the authors themselves note, however, their text is limited in addressing how class and economic issues intersect with racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, heterosexism, ageism, and able-ism.
- The institutionalized homophobia, heterosexism, sexism and racism of medical institutions make it unsafe for us when we are ill, to chance coming out, and difficult to get the support we need when we don't.
- Only relatively recently did the social scientific and therapeutic communities begin to utilize the concepts of homophobia and heterosexism to portray the discrimination faced by gay people.
- Example sentences
- Nationalist, racist and heterosexist chauvinism thrives on political and social grievances.
- Brooks argues that sexual minorities experience proportionally more negative life events as a result of living in a sexist, racist, and heterosexist society.
- Heterosexuals are often unaware of their heterosexist biases; because their values and beliefs on sexual issues are those most widely held, there is a tendency to assume that they reflect the ‘natural’ order.
Definition of heterosexism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan