Definition of hexagonal in English:
1Of or pertaining to a hexagon.
- There are over a dozen pen-and-wash studies of figures in oval or hexagonal frames.
- Over the banister, visitors saw the top of an elegant structure, narrow at the base, with an inner hexagonal column.
- Double-panelled doors lead to a hexagonal dining room.
1.2Designating or pertaining to a crystal system in which three coplanar axes of equal length are separated by 60° and a fourth axis of a different length is at right angles to these.
- Pure phase zirconium exists in a hexagonal close-packed crystal structure.
- The inner core is pure iron in a hexagonal close-packed crystalline form.
- These quartz crystals from Cumberland appear to possess normal hexagonal symmetry.
- Example sentences
- The carbon atoms arranged themselves as layered sheets of hexagonally bonded atoms.
- As the protein concentration is increased further, there is a sharp transition from a disordered fluid to a hexagonally ordered crystal.
- Thicker hexagonally shaped ice crystals indicate a higher concentration of ice-growth inhibitors.
Words that rhyme with hexagonaldiagonal, heptagonal, octagonal, tetragonal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.