- A six-columned portico.More example sentences
- The oldest preserved part of the whole complex is the cloister, with features of the transitional style. The corridor is framed on all four sides by a line of double hexastyles.
adjectiveBack to top
- (Of a portico) having six columns.More example sentences
- Rather than the simple Greek Ionic order of the two earlier capitols, Nichols used a more elaborate Ionic variation for the colossal freestanding hexastyle portico that dominated the west or main front.
- The temple proper, measuring 2815 m., consists of a square cella and a hexastyle pronaos formed of Corinthian columns on a high podium; it is surrounded by a precinct wall which encloses an area 40 m. square.
- In the process of working with these components, it appears that Bernini flirted with the idea of transforming the octastyle front into a hexastyle front.
early 18th century: from Greek hexastulos, from hex 'six' + stulos 'column'.
More definitions of hexastyleDefinition of hexastyle in:
- The British & World English dictionary