1Used to attract attention, to express surprise, interest, or annoyance, or to elicit agreement: hey, what’s going on here? hey, don’t I know it!
More example sentences
- It's at this time of the year that I like to say to myself, hey! let's forget about the mistakes of the past year - and instead look forward with excitement to the year ahead.
- I read about all the interest and I think, hey fantastic, but nobody calls me.
- And if two people love each other and really believe they can be partners for life hey, good luck to 'em.
what the hey
- North American informal Used as a euphemism for “what the hell.”.Example sentences
- It's more fun to be excited about two movies than one, so I figured, what the hey, I liked the first one; I'll see the second.
- It occurs to me that I could end up regretting this, but what the hey, Saturnalia only comes once a year.
- Then he changes his mind and decides that the research results actually don't apply here, but what the hey - it's pretty interesting research anyway, so why waste all that good blogging?
Natural exclamation: first recorded in Middle English.
Words that rhyme with heyaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hey in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.