Definition of hey in English:
1Used to attract attention, to express surprise, interest, or annoyance, or to elicit agreement: hey, what’s going on here? hey, don’t I know it!
More example sentences
- It's at this time of the year that I like to say to myself, hey! let's forget about the mistakes of the past year - and instead look forward with excitement to the year ahead.
- I read about all the interest and I think, hey fantastic, but nobody calls me.
- And if two people love each other and really believe they can be partners for life hey, good luck to 'em.
natural exclamation: first recorded in Middle English.
what the hey
- North American informal Used as a euphemism for “what the hell.”.Example sentences
- It's more fun to be excited about two movies than one, so I figured, what the hey, I liked the first one; I'll see the second.
- It occurs to me that I could end up regretting this, but what the hey, Saturnalia only comes once a year.
- Then he changes his mind and decides that the research results actually don't apply here, but what the hey - it's pretty interesting research anyway, so why waste all that good blogging?
Definition of hey in:
- British & World English dictionary