- Used in writing to express the sound of a hiccup, especially a drunken one.More example sentences
- When the farmer had arrived safely in the dock he looked about in a very dreamy manner, and in answer to the Magistrates' Clerk said ‘Prapsh I have had - hic - a lil drop - hic - er whisky,’ provoking great hilarity in the court.
- One to see in the New Year, hic, and one for ya birfday.
- And I've been hitting the bottle in the evenings to help me get by. (* hic *)
late 19th century: imitative.
More definitions of hicDefinition of hic in:
- The British & World English dictionary