1At or of a level above that which is normal or average: a high-level cistern high-level crop production
More example sentences
- At the rear, the talllight clusters are stacked vertically, positioned high out of harm's way, and a high-level brake light is integrated into the roofline above the two rear doors.
- Obviously others have done the vast majority of the work for me on this piece, so here's a few high-level links to collections of information that were invaluable to me in this writing.
- His achievement, along with consistent high-level performances, meant Lampard finished second behind Barcelona's Ronaldinho in the European Footballer of the Year poll.
1.1Relating to or involving people of high administrative rank or great authority: high-level negotiations
More example sentences
- It is unusual to hold high-level negotiations, except summits, outside a country's capital, the sources said.
- Levy, who assumed the top job late this summer, has held a variety of mid- and high-level administrative jobs at community colleges since 1989.
- A spokesman for the Minister for Environment confirmed that high-level negotiations have been on-going, but declined to comment on the IFA proposals.
1.2 Computing Denoting a programming language that is relatively accessible to the user, having instructions that resemble a natural language such as English.
- The above features would be easy and straightforward for an experienced Web/database programmer to implement in a high-level language, such as Perl or Python.
- Java is a high-level programming language developed by Sun Microsystems to run in a web environment.
- Although this obviously complicates things somewhat, modern high-level languages make the difference between these two data structures easily understood.
1.3(Of nuclear waste) highly radioactive and requiring long-term storage in isolation.
- For more than two decades, the United States government has been attempting to develop a plan for the storage of high-level nuclear wastes.
- More than 2700 canisters of high-level radioactive waste extracted from the fuel are due to be returned to Japan within the next 15 years.
- The campaign to keep high-level nuclear waste out of Utah and Nevada is just beginning.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of high-level in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.