Definition of high-octane in English:
1Denoting gasoline having a high octane number and thus good anti-knock properties.
- A petrol tank containing high-octane fuel is beside your seat.
- The AA says if you do that to a vehicle designed to run on high-octane petrol, the engine ‘would seize’.
- That is why high-performance cars generally need high-octane gasoline - their engines are using higher compression ratios to get more power.
1.1Powerful or dynamic: a high-octane forty-year-old
More example sentences
- One of the main challenges of filming, he says, lay in translating the passion and the high-octane energy of the sport to the screen.
- The fund toned down its aggressive, high-octane formula.
- How can this be reconciled with the market-driven, high-octane, modernising spirit of the new millennium?
Definition of high-octane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan