Definition of highball in English:
1A drink consisting of whiskey and a mixer such as soda or ginger ale, served with ice in a tall glass.
- We found twelve boxes of glassware that my father had won - glasses for old fashioneds, manhattans, margaritas, highballs, beer, and wine.
- Shake all ingredients for 15 seconds and strain into a highball glass filled with ice, garnish with apple slice.
- CEOs, like other executives, may see it as part of their job to have a few highballs at a business dinner or to let loose a bit at the company holiday party.
2 informal A railroad signal to proceed.
- At 8: 12 AM we got the highball, and proceeded west.
- Then there was some difficulty with the brake test and we finally got the highball at 8: 49, So the train which had been running early was now nearly an hour late.
- Shortly after settling into my seat, we got the highball and left the station right on the advertised at 10: 20 AM.
verb[no object] informal Back to top
Travel fast: they highballed north
More example sentences
- We made an on-time stop at Gainesville, GA at 7: 43 AM, and then highballed towards Atlanta.
- The level of the fighting was apparent as we highballed toward the base's gate.
- We then highballed nonstop to Jamaica, following the same route through Queens as we had taken earlier.
Words that rhyme with highballeyeball
Definition of highball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan