Definition of hijab in English:
1A head covering worn in public by some Muslim women.
- The French Assembly is wrong to ban Muslim headscarves, the hijab, in public schools.
- The ban will likely include large Christian crosses, Jewish yarmulkes, Muslim hijabs and turbans worn by Sikhs.
- Just as police officers are more professionally aware while in uniform, so I had a stronger sense of being a Muslim wearing my hijab.
1.1The religious code that governs the wearing of the hijab.
- Violating the hijab code was made punishable by 100 lashes of the cane and six months imprisonment.
- Today, the figure-obscuring dress code known as hijab remains the Revolution's most visible and enduring legacy.
- One suggestion that occurs repeatedly is that Islam does not require Muslim women to observe hijab or veil.
Definition of hijab in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan