(Especially of a bodily part) situated at the back; posterior: he snagged a calf by the hind leg
More example sentences
- This was associated with infection by a flatworm or fluke infection called Ribeiroia, which formed cysts near the hind legs.
- The same held true when they injected the drug into multiple ganglia that connect to the tail and hind legs.
- Herodotus rejoins that camels have four thighbones in their hind legs, and that their genitals face backwards.
Middle English: perhaps shortened from Old English behindan (see behind).
on one's hind legs
- see leg.
1A female deer, especially a red deer or sika in and after its third year.
- In red deer, dominant hinds produce a male-biased offspring sex ratio, but only at low population density.
- In Europe, the red-deer hinds are often culled, but managers often do the shooting.
- For example, dominant red deer hinds produce more surviving offspring over their lives than do subordinates.