- Though Hindi is the official language in almost all of India's states, many people do not speak or understand it.
- She does not realise that in India Urdu is called Hindi, and Urdu and Hindi are the same language.
- It is home to people of different national origins whose first languages include Somali, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.
- I phonetically learn lyrics of Hindi songs and I am an avid admirer of Shahrukh Khan's eyebrows.
- Like me, Umerbhai liked old Hindi films, particularly their melodious music.
- He wants to tickle the funny bone of the audience with either his histrionics or by mimicking the legends of Hindi cinema.
Indian from mid 16th century:
Christopher Columbus set sail from Europe in 1492 with the main object of reaching Asia and proving that the world was round. When his ships reached the New World—in fact some Caribbean islands—he believed that he had reached India, and so it seemed natural to give the name Indian to the indigenous inhabitants of the Americas. The name of the West Indies arose from the same mistake. People felt the need to make clearer this double use of Indian, for the peoples of the Indian subcontinent and of the Americas. At first the latter were often called Red Indians, but this is now considered offensive. American Indian was another solution, but many now prefer to avoid the term Indian altogether, and use Native American. Indian summer, a period of unusually dry, warm weather in late autumn, refers to North America rather than Asia. The phenomenon is first mentioned towards the end of the 18th century in the USA, and was not adopted in Britain until the late Victorian period. India itself is named after the mighty River Indus, which flows from Tibet through Kashmir and Pakistan into the Arabian Sea, and the word is related to Hindi (early 19th century) and Hindu (mid 17th century). India gives its name to indigo (mid 16th century), originally meaning ‘Indian dye’.
Words that rhyme with HindiCindy, indie, Indy, Lindy, Rawalpindi, shindy, Sindhi, Sindy, windy
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Hindi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.