(also hinoki cypress) A tall slow-growing tree native to Japan that has bright green leaves and yields a valuable timber.
- Chamaecyparis obtusa, family Cupressaceae
More example sentences
- Three variegated hinoki false cypress trees flank the stipa, and a coral bark maple grows at the back of the bed.
- Daiho-ji is in the mountains, surrounded by cedars and hinoki cypresses over 300 years old.
- Traditionally, the Ise Shrine was dismantled and rebuilt every 20 years using hinoki cypress lumber from Kiso.
early 18th century: from Japanese.
Definition of hinoki in:
- The British & World English dictionary