- There are many pubs and churches and sites of great historic importance.
- They had greatly enjoyed the trip and it was a historic and important occasion, he said.
- For 2,532 years these historic sites have held importance in the mind of the Buddhists.
- The second issue that has caused concern is the definition of historic heritage.
- I read with interest the recent article concerning the destruction of historic houses and homes.
early 17th century (in the sense 'relating to or in accordance with history'): via Latin from Greek historikos, from historia 'narrative, knowing by inquiry' (see history).
1 On the use of an historic moment or a historic moment, see an. 2 In general, historic means ‘notable in history, significant in history,’ as in a Supreme Court decision, a battlefield, or a great discovery. Historical means ‘relating to history or past events’: ( historical society; historical documents). To write historic instead of historical may imply a greater significance than is warranted: a historical lecture may simply tell about something that happened, whereas a historic lecture would in some way change the course of human events. It would be correct to say, Professor Suarez’s historical lecture on the Old Southwest was given at the historic mission church.