- 1Of or concerning history; concerning past events: the historical background to such studiesMore example sentences
- We give a little historical background to these events in our article Babylonian mathematics.
- Backed by a wealth of material, the book revealed in detail the historical facts concerning these events.
- Why should it be illegal to deny the existence of a historical event we all know took place?
- 1.1Belonging to the past, not the present: famous historical figuresMore example sentences
- Our cast list expanded to include historical figures remembering the distant rather than the recent past.
- Belief in a religion is belief in an idea and in particular historical figures whether Muhammad, Christ or Joseph Smith.
- Years ago, authors used to take their time about writing about historical figures.
- 1.2(Especially of a novel or movie) set in the past.More example sentences
- His use of novels and historical narrative were essential to his reinvention of the Tory party.
- The festival will open with the historical film Vercingetorix, which was shot in Bulgaria.
- Priceless historical film rescued from a Blackburn rubbish skip will go on show to the public for the first time this week.
- 1.3(Of the study of a subject) based on an analysis of its development over a period: for the Darwinians, biogeography became a historical scienceMore example sentences
- Martha Treadway might seem at first to be an unlikely subject for historical study.
- They celebrated historical studies of science as ways of explaining the heroic progress of science towards truth.
- It is common practice in historical studies of the philosophy of science to contrast the views of Mill and Whewell.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek historikos (see historic).