noun[treated as singular]
- The study of the history and development of languages.More example sentences
- There had been isolated sprouts of good ideas but scientific historical linguistics had yet to develop.
- Also at issue in virtually all of his stories is his fascination with both literary and linguistic theory and historical linguistics.
- Training in psychology does not normally cover historical linguistics.
More definitions of historical linguisticsDefinition of historical linguistics in:
- The British & World English dictionary