See parent entry: jackpot
Definition of hit the jackpot in English:
1Win a jackpot.
- After the usual checks and balances were performed, Tony received his payment in one lump sum wired to his account within a week of hitting the jackpot.
- Fourth and last, slot players can hit the jackpot while in the hole, or with modest enough earnings that they have no incentives to stop.
- Guadalupe Lopez was playing the Wheel of Fortune machines at the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa when she hit the jackpot, a casino spokesman said.
2Have great or unexpected success, especially in making a lot of money quickly: the theater hit the jackpot with its first musical
More example sentences
- Although Pumping Iron was a massive, surprise success, Schwarzenegger didn't hit the jackpot until the release of the first Terminator film in 1984.
- After decades of trying one plantation crop after another without much success in the late nineteenth century, Malaya hit the jackpot with rubber trees in the early twentieth century.
- Accenture is gambling that one of those companies will hit the jackpot and create the next SAP, giving Accenture first crack at helping its clients install the revolutionary software.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan