Definition of Hitler, Adolf in English:
1 (1889–1945), German leader, born in Austria; chancellor of Germany 1933–45. He cofounded the National Socialist German Workers' (Nazi) Party in 1919 and came to prominence through his powers of oratory. He wrote Mein Kampf (1925), an exposition of his political ideas, while in prison. He established the totalitarian Third Reich in 1933. His expansionist foreign policy precipitated World War II, while his fanatical anti-Semitism led to the Holocaust.
1.1 (as noun a Hitler) A person with authoritarian or tyrannical characteristics: little Hitlers in the classroom
More example sentences
- The people said among themselves, ‘We have produced our own Hitlers.’
- I left the site on that wind-swept cold afternoon wondering why such reminders of the past like Dachau have failed to deter the latter-day Hitlers.
- And now the head of the whole organization stands mum while asking for more money from the alleged Hitlers and Mussolinis.
- Example sentences
- ‘I have been called a Fascist and almost a Hitlerite,’ General Dwight Eisenhower, Clark's superior, complained.
- For Nazi opponents, the fire and its aftermath proved how brutally and quickly the Hitlerites were ending democracy.
- But the greater the electoral gains these parties make, the more confidence it gives those in them who want to build Hitlerite stormtroopers.
Pronunciation: /-ˌrīt/noun& adjective
Definition of Hitler, Adolf in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.