noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living traditionally in isolated mountain villages throughout Southeast Asia. Large numbers have immigrated to the US. Also called Miao.
- It is found in many Japanese, in the Tibetans of the Himalayas and among isolated people of Southeast Asia, like the Hmong.
- The exact number of Hmong students is not available for the UW System, but the majority of the Southeast Asian students are Hmong.
- Minority groups in this small, mountainous country include the Mon-Khmer, the Yao, and the Hmong.
2The language of the Hmong, occurring in a large number of highly distinct dialects.
- The L1 writing prompts were translated by bilingual teaching professionals whose native languages were Spanish, Hmong, and Russian.
- Participants from the younger generations noted that they have difficulty speaking Hmong without using English.
- It turns out that this is a spelling of what is more usually written as Hmong.
Relating to the Hmong or their language.
- Some of the figures are even clinging to cut pieces of bamboo, seemingly recreating the tragic legend of the lost Hmong language.
- Participants felt that a generational shift in Hmong language and culture might be occurring for various reasons.
- Participants also had varying feelings about the Hmong language shifting.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Hmong in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.