Definition of hoary marmot in English:
A large stocky grayish-brown marmot with a whistling call, found in the mountains of northwestern North America.
- Marmota caligata, family Sciuridae
- The hoary marmot, so called because of the mantle of white fur which covers his shoulders and back, is well known to hikers in the western mountains of North America.
- Presumably it (the only species of mammal unique to the island) arose from hoary marmots of the mainland that reached what is now Vancouver Island during the second last glaciation.
- The shrill whistle of the hoary marmot is a familiar sound to Alaskans, especially to hikers with dogs.
Definition of hoary marmot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.