A small farm operated for pleasure or supplemental income rather than for primary income.
- A population of about 6,000 live in detached houses on large urban blocks or on five acre hobby farms / market gardens.
- The magnitude of the voluntary subsidy by small-scale operators to their hobby farms now swamps the profit performance of larger farms.
- The place had been a hobby farm owned by his wealthy stepfather who was now very ill.
hobby farmer noun
- Example sentences
- The only people who will benefit will be hobby farmers, not real farmers.
- In 1989, the couple purchased a 20-acre farm, thinking they would eventually plant a low-maintenance crop and ease into a life as hobby farmers.
- They compete for land with any number of investors, hobby farmers and speculators.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: hob·by farm
Definition of hobby farm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.