Definition of hobby farm in English:
A small farm operated for pleasure or supplemental income rather than for primary income.
- A population of about 6,000 live in detached houses on large urban blocks or on five acre hobby farms / market gardens.
- The magnitude of the voluntary subsidy by small-scale operators to their hobby farms now swamps the profit performance of larger farms.
- The place had been a hobby farm owned by his wealthy stepfather who was now very ill.
hobby farmer noun
- Example sentences
- The only people who will benefit will be hobby farmers, not real farmers.
- In 1989, the couple purchased a 20-acre farm, thinking they would eventually plant a low-maintenance crop and ease into a life as hobby farmers.
- They compete for land with any number of investors, hobby farmers and speculators.
Definition of hobby farm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan