- 1A child’s toy consisting of a stick with a model of a horse’s head at one end.More example sentences
- In the contest, they must race 100 metres with a hobby horse while hopping over jumps.
- Her unicorn hobby horse was a very special gift from Daddy.
- This painting of a child with a hobby horse dates from 1836
- 1.1A rocking horse.More example sentences
- A drawing of King William at the top of this broadsheet, rocking on a wooden hobby horse, might have caused some offense in loyalist circles.
- He held her hand and rocked it back and forth like a child on a hobby horse.
- One shot of a young boy claiming to be an expert horseman shows a toddler rocking on a hobby horse.
- 1.2A model of a horse or a horse’s head, typically of wicker, used in morris dancing or pantomime.More example sentences
- Morris men, lords and ladies and even Hobnob the hobby horse were to be found mingling among the stalls.
- The vibrant costumes and scenery gave bright splashes of cartoonish colour to the scenes and the props, such as hobby horses with nodding heads, were superb.
- The Peace Police on their hobby horses added humour and colour to the events.
- 2A preoccupation; a favorite topic: one of her favorite hobbyhorses was about how people had to care for “the child inside.”More example sentences
- Warning the government to be prudent, and to remain prudent, may sound like my favourite hobby horse, - and it is, but there are sound reasons why I always carry on about not overshooting the main budget.
- It deals with one of my favourite hobby horses, Complexity Theory.
- The other omitted item, and I admit this is a bit of a personal hobby horse of mine, is that there is no mention of the Little Ice Age, though consequences for it abounding in these pages.
More definitions of hobbyhorseDefinition of hobbyhorse in:
- The British & World English dictionary