Definition of hobgoblin in English:
1(In mythology and fairy tales) a mischievous imp or sprite.
- It is a time when the very mention of witches, gnomes, hobgoblins and ogres is enough to conjure up a fantasy world populated with a multitude of such creatures.
- It was a time when witches did mischief while spiteful fairies and hobgoblins roamed about.
- If people want to believe in tooth fairies, or leprechauns, or hobgoblins, or taniwha, or whatever, it is their right to do that.
1.1A fearsome mythical creature.
- In his childhood Martin was afraid of the dark, of ghosts and hobgoblins, and his fear of attack by the threatening unknown later came to surface in his art.
- They danced around in masks scaring away all manors of demons and hobgoblins, and offered food for their dead's eternal rest.
- Imagination, then plays upon our fears when there is feeble light, making us see ghouls and hobgoblins in every shadow that moves.
Words that rhyme with hobgoblingoblin
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.