Definition of hoedown in English:
1A social gathering at which lively folk dancing takes place.
- Then the couple were off to their ranch in Bromley Common for a hoedown to celebrate with 150 guests including many family members.
- Whether you hold a harvest hoedown or a stylish sit-down dinner party for eight, fall for outside entertaining this autumn!
- Saturday night and country roads led us to Washington County's Food Farm, where event planner extraordinaire Bob Sendall hosted a haute hoedown that attracted 200 city slickers to the rural retreat.
1.1A lively folk dance.
- Also, at least in many rural communities, the square dance and hoedown are still around, even if chiefly on that life support of a special evening of ‘Western’ dancing.
- Dinner is usually a buffet or served family-style; at some dinners you'll be treated to live entertainment such as mellow folk songs or a merry hoedown.
- After they arrived in Louisiana, Anglo-American immigrants to Louisiana contributed new fiddle tunes and dances, such as reels, jigs, and hoedowns.
Words that rhyme with hoedowngodown, showdown, slowdown
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan