(also hog-nosed snake)
- A harmless burrowing American snake with an upturned snout. When threatened it inflates itself with air and hisses, and may feign death. Also called puff adder in North America.
More example sentences
- Genus Heterodon, family Colubridae: several species
- Not dangerous to man, the western hognose snake uses a slightly toxic saliva to help subdue its prey.
- The eastern hognose snake is a medium sized snake that often startles people the first time they see one.
- Like most hognose snakes, the Mexican Hognose is considered slightly venomous but harmless to humans.
More definitions of hognose snakeDefinition of hognose snake in:
- The British & World English dictionary