verb[with object] North American • informal
- (Of an actor) act (a part) in an insincere, sentimental, or melodramatic manner: just try it straight—don’t hoke it upMore example sentences
- That night they were fabulous, hoking it up and ‘yee-haw’ ing.
- The principals of The Wandering Scholar hoke it up, but the piece can take it.
- She has said that the cast was specifically asked to "hoke it up."
early 20th century: back-formation from hokum.
More definitions of hokeDefinition of hoke in:
- The British & World English dictionary