- 1 (the hokey-pokey) US A circle dance with a synchronized shaking of the limbs in turn, accompanied by a simple song.More example sentences
- I'm the typical American white guy, so watching me dance is like seeing the Pillsbury Doughboy doing the hokey-pokey.
- We learn the hokey pokey when we're kids and as we become adults, we learn the latest crazes.
- Try dancing with your children. Do the Hokey Pokey, the bunny hop and such.
- 2US Hocus-pocus; trickery.More example sentences
- There was something kind of psychic about him, almost supernatural, and it was no surprise when I found out he was into that hokey-pokey and read a lot about magic and mysticism.
- 3 • dated Ice cream sold on the street, especially by Italian street vendors.More example sentences
- Interestingly, in late - 19 th-century Britain, hokey-pokey men were Italian street vendors selling ice-cream wrapped in waxed paper.
- They sell hokey-pokey, either plain or covered in chocolate.
late 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of hokey-pokeyDefinition of hokey-pokey in:
- The British & World English dictionary