Definition of holiness in English:
1The state of being holy: a life of holiness and total devotion to God
More example sentences
- Moses learns at that moment of contemplation, four things about holiness.
- All religions have their symbols of holiness through which the sacred flows into the mundane.
- Paul also tells us to lead quiet lives in godliness and holiness.
1.1 (His/Your Holiness) A title given to the pope, Orthodox patriarchs, and the Dalai Lama, or used in addressing them.
- A news agency recently reported you as the spiritual adviser to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- In the typical Tibetan home, there are photographs displayed of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and other incarnate masters.
- So when a friend of mine invited me to attend teachings with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, I signed on for two weeks worth of teachings.
1.2 [as modifier] Denoting a Christian renewal movement originating in the mid 19th century among Methodists in the US, emphasizing the Wesleyan doctrine of the sanctification of believers.
- The current interest in spirituality speaks to the holiness movement that was at the core of it.
- A former Methodist pastor and holiness preacher had established a bible school.
- These people knew the holiness code cover to cover and could quote you chapter and verse.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.