Definition of holly in English:
1A widely distributed shrub, typically having prickly dark green leaves, small white flowers, and red berries. There are several deciduous species of holly but the evergreen hollies are more typical and familiar.
- Genus Ilex, family Aquifoliaceae: many species, in particular the American holly (I. opaca), known as the Christmas holly. See also gallberry, winterberry, yaupon
- Both deciduous and evergreen hollies are much loved for their berries, which range in color from orange and red to yellow and black.
- And then there are the usual green plants with red berries such as hollies and barberry, and old garden roses with showy hips.
- Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.
1.1The branches, foliage, and berries of the holly used as Christmas decorations.
- On Concorde to Barbados we got lovely Christmas gifts, one was an exquisite small Christmas cake with icing and holly decoration.
- Add a Christmas wreath, holly, and bright red rope, and you'll have a project that will stand out and can be seen from blocks away when flooded with bright, white spot lights.
- Sprigs of holly and Christmas trees which have seen several winters are dusted out and they decorate the lobbies again.
Definition of holly in:
- British & World English dictionary