Definition of holm oak in English:
An evergreen southern European oak, with dark green glossy leaves. Also called evergreen oak or ilex.
- Quercus ilex, family Fagaceae
- But the Agriculture Department has since confirmed infections in a beech, a horse chestnut and a holm oak in a Cornish garden.
- I'm currently sitting in Priory Park, on the banks of the city's defences in the shade of a beautiful holm oak so that I can see my laptop's screen on such a bright day.
- Every day at the festival there are performances staged beneath the shade of a giant holm oak in the courtyard garden of a 19th century palace.
late Middle English: holm, alteration of dialect hollin, from Old English holen 'holly'.
Definition of holm oak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan