- 1A city held sacred by the adherents of a religion.More example sentences
- The gospels record two occasions when Jesus wept: at the tomb of Lazarus and when he saw the holy city Jerusalem.
- Pressed to name the world's most visited holy cities, one might think of Mecca or Jerusalem.
- However, Salt Lake City is a holy city for Mormons, and the Black Hills of South Dakota and other places are sacred native American sites.
- 1.2 (the Holy City) (In Christian tradition) Heaven.More example sentences
- We are further emboldened in our outreach by John's vision of the Holy City of God.
- As Christ descends he raises all the righteous dead, and with the living saints they ascend to the Holy City in heaven.
- Around Zion, the Holy City where God our Father sits on the throne, is an area called paradise.
More definitions of holy cityDefinition of holy city in:
- The British & World English dictionary