1A course of study carried out at home, rather than in a traditional classroom setting.
- A perfect starting point for anyone who wants to do some home study.
- Determined to make up the two years she had lost so she could graduate on time, she attended night school and summer school and also put in at least three additional hours of home study every night.
- They do home study as well during the week, and enthusiastically fit in training on and off the water.
2An assessment of prospective adoptive parents to see if they are suitable for adopting a child.
- Many agencies take time to do pre-adoption screenings of adoptive parents, complete home studies, and check on medical condition and history.
- Each time a couple wants to adopt, the home study is done again.
- As in most adoptions, the home study - where a licensed agency visits the future home and family - settles financial questions.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: home stud·y
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.