Definition of homeomorphism in English:
An instance of topological equivalence to another space or figure.
- In topology, the most basic equivalence is a homeomorphism, which allows spaces that appear quite different in most other subjects to be declared equivalent in topology.
- We prove that it is not possible to extend, in a homomorphic fashion, each quasisymmetric homeomorphism of the circle to a quasiconformal homeomorphism of the disk.
- Example sentences
- His paper to the International Mathematical Congress in Cambridge in England in 1912 was of major importance for it sketched the definition of a curve without arcs, so that it had no homeomorphic images of a segment of a straight line.
- The most important result in this paper is that two real algebraic manifolds are equivalent if and only if they are analytically homeomorphic.
- Without such a reference space we can only say whether our strips are homeomorphic or not, which they indeed are whenever they differ in an even number of twists.
Definition of homeomorphism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.