Definition of homeomorphism in English:
An instance of topological equivalence to another space or figure.
- In topology, the most basic equivalence is a homeomorphism, which allows spaces that appear quite different in most other subjects to be declared equivalent in topology.
- We prove that it is not possible to extend, in a homomorphic fashion, each quasisymmetric homeomorphism of the circle to a quasiconformal homeomorphism of the disk.
- Example sentences
- His paper to the International Mathematical Congress in Cambridge in England in 1912 was of major importance for it sketched the definition of a curve without arcs, so that it had no homeomorphic images of a segment of a straight line.
- The most important result in this paper is that two real algebraic manifolds are equivalent if and only if they are analytically homeomorphic.
- Without such a reference space we can only say whether our strips are homeomorphic or not, which they indeed are whenever they differ in an even number of twists.
Definition of homeomorphism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan