1 Baseball A home run.
- Adrian Beltre hit a three-run homer, his 45th home run of the season, in the third inning off Jason Marquis for a 5-4 Dodger lead.
- If these estimates are close, Williams would have ranked only behind Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth in lifetime homers.
- Could you put together a list of players who hit 20 or more homers with the lowest batting average in one season?
2A homing pigeon.
- The homers flap about and waddle towards the door.
- A racing homer can average 40 miles per hour or more under normal conditions, but they have reached speeds of 60 miles per hour and faster.
- Keep your homers in the pen for a few weeks before you let them out for the first time.
3 informal A referee or official who is thought to favor the team playing at home.
- Luckily for him, the referee is a complete homer so he gets away with it both times.
- I was tired, having played two games just before that one, the ref was a homer,
- ‘I probably shouldn't call referees homers, but I think generally they bend a little bit to the home side and may be pressured by the crowd,’ he explained.
verb[no object] Baseball Back to top
Hit a home run: he homered for the sixth time in seven games
More example sentences
- Well, Youks made his major league debut a few weeks back, homering in his first game.
- Jason Varitek and David McCarty also homered for the Red Sox, hitting solo shots off Lance Carter in the eighth.
- He came within several feet of homering in his first big-league at-bat, his first-inning double hitting halfway up the wall in right-center July 16 against the Mariners.
( 8th century bc), Greek epic poet. He is traditionally held to be the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey, although modern scholarship has revealed the place of the Homeric poems in a preliterate oral tradition. In later antiquity, Homer was regarded as the greatest poet, and his poems were constantly used as a model and source by others.
Homer sometimes nods
- proverb Even the most gifted person occasionally makes mistakes.Example sentences
- I'd comfort myself with our old prep school saying, quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus, ‘even the worthy Homer sometimes nods.’
- Yes, it was created by top, well loved developers but even Homer sometimes nods, and he has here.
- It serves no useful purpose for the writer to remind himself that ‘even Homer sometimes nods.’
Words that rhyme with Homeraroma, carcinoma, chroma, coma, comber, diploma, glaucoma, lymphoma, melanoma, misnomer, Oklahoma, Omagh, roamer, Roma, romer, sarcoma, soma
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.