- Denoting the sex that has sex chromosomes that do not differ in morphology, resulting in only one kind of gamete, e.g., (in mammals) the female and (in birds) the male. The opposite of heterogametic.More example sentences
- Male birds are homogametic, with sex chromosome constitution designated ZZ, while females are heterogametic, with sex chromosomes ZW.
- Many groups have the familiar XX female, XY male system encountered in most mammals, but others, such as birds and butterflies, have heterogametic ZW females and homogametic ZZ males.
- It possesses a pair of heteromorphic sex chromosomes; females are homogametic and males heterogametic.
More definitions of homogameticDefinition of homogametic in:
- The British & World English dictionary