Definition of homogenize in English:
1Subject (milk) to a process in which the fat droplets are emulsified and the cream does not separate: (as adjective homogenized) homogenized milk
More example sentences
- For instance, homogenized milk is an emulsion made up of butterfat droplets dispersed in water.
- Milk may be homogenized to stop the cream from rising to the top.
- Not all whipping cream has been homogenised, but it is always pasteurised.
1.1 Biology Prepare a suspension of cell constituents from (tissue) by physical treatment in a liquid.
- Embryogenic tissues were homogenized to a fine powder in liquid nitrogen.
- Total RNA preparations were made as described in Ashburner, except that tissues were homogenized directly, without previous grinding in liquid nitrogen.
- Small numbers of viable streptococci were found in lymph nodes and spleen when these tissues were homogenized and cultured.
2Make uniform or similar.
- The flip side is that Zambian society has become more homogenized.
- This is not easy, because as a society we are homogenized, scattered and systematically alienated from the landscapes and communities that nurtured us in our youth.
- It's an odd thing to say, but Tokyo is the most homogenized society I've ever seen, especially coming from Toronto where everything is so diverse.
- Example sentences
- Scheduled for completion in early 2001, the room will comprise more than 4,000 square feet and house three high temperature short time pasteurization systems, including standardizers, homogenizers and blending systems.
- Two high temperature short time pasteurizing systems, which include separators and homogenizers, handle 8,000 gallons of milk per hour and 6,500 gallons of by-products per hour.
- The arterial samples were kept on ice and were homogenized in water using a Potter Elvehjem homogenizer.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan