Definition of homophile in English:
1A homosexual man or woman.
- We recognise that there are major questions to be faced concerning the attitudes to homophiles in both Church and society.
- If you are not a homophile or comfortable with explicit language and images, better not follow that link.
- It's now almost impossible for Dr. Ink, an obsequious homophile, to sing "Don we now our gay apparel" without thinking of reindeer in drag.
1.1A person active in supporting the rights of homosexuals.
- New York's Gay Activists Alliance, dedicated to nonviolent protest, has provided youthful leadership for homophiles of varying ideological persuasions.
- Homophiles conceived of sexuality as a quintessentially private domain, but to support this private right, they argued, public education was necessary.
- Some homophiles likened George Henry, an outspoken advocate for a more compassionate but pathological view of homosexuals, to a "well-meaning lyncher".
adjectiveBack to top
1Of or relating to homosexuals.
- When such a person wishes it to be known more publicly that they are homophile in orientation, but who are nevertheless committed to a life of abstinence, such a person ought to be accepted and supported by the Church in every way possible.
- The young "newspaper of America's homophile community" added, "For the first time in nearly 2,000 years, homosexuals are back in the mainstream of the political process, stating their case before a national audience that has finally begun to listen."
- In 1971 I took one of the first homophile courses in the country, from Lou Crompton, who was a remarkable scholar.
1.1Active in supporting the rights of homosexuals.
- Its first phase, the homophile movement, started in 1950 when several homosexual men, most former communist and progressive activists, founded the Mattachine Society in Los Angeles.
- In the early '70s many lesbians deserted the homophile and gay liberation movements in protest against male chauvinism.
- As the film shows, new activist organizations sprang up in the wake of the 1969 Stonewall riot, replacing the more staid "homophile" groups of the '50s.
Definition of homophile in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan