- An ant that stores large amounts of honeydew and nectar in its elastic abdomen, which becomes greatly distended. This is then fed to nest mates by regurgitation.
More example sentences
- Myrmecocystus and other genera, family Formicidae
- Ants have been a food resource for Aborigines in Australia, who relished especially the honey ants, which they call yarumpa.
- Honey ants store nectar in their bodies to sustain their colony during times of drought.
- We go hunting for honey ants and we look for bush turkey.
More definitions of honey antDefinition of honey ant in:
- The British & World English dictionary