Definition of honey ant in English:
An ant that stores large amounts of honeydew and nectar in its elastic abdomen, which becomes greatly distended. This is then fed to nest mates by regurgitation.
- Myrmecocystus and other genera, family Formicidae
- Ants have been a food resource for Aborigines in Australia, who relished especially the honey ants, which they call yarumpa.
- Honey ants store nectar in their bodies to sustain their colony during times of drought.
- We go hunting for honey ants and we look for bush turkey.
Definition of honey ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.