Definition of honey ant in English:
An ant that stores large amounts of honeydew and nectar in its elastic abdomen, which becomes greatly distended. This is then fed to nest mates by regurgitation.
- Myrmecocystus and other genera, family Formicidae
- Ants have been a food resource for Aborigines in Australia, who relished especially the honey ants, which they call yarumpa.
- Honey ants store nectar in their bodies to sustain their colony during times of drought.
- We go hunting for honey ants and we look for bush turkey.
Definition of honey ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan