Definition of honeycreeper in English:
1A tropical American tanager with a long curved bill, feeding on nectar and insects.
- The Red-legged Honeycreeper (Cyanerpes cyanueus), also known as the Yellow-winged Sugarbird, is found from Southern Mexico, through Latin America to Northern South America.
- The male Yellow-legged or Purple Honeycreeper (Cyanerpes caeruleus) is a beautiful bird that keeps his color year-round.
- The tanager family of North and South America boosts some of the most beautiful of all the creatures; included in the family are honeycreepers or sugarbirds, dacnis, and euphonias.
2 (also Hawaiian honeycreeper) A Hawaiian songbird of variable appearance and with a specialized bill, several kinds of which are now endangered.
- Family Drepanididae (or Fringillidae): several genera and species, often with Hawaiian names such as the iiwi and ou
- To date, mitochondrial rate calibrations have been generated (in chronological order) for geese, Hawaiian honeycreepers, cranes, partridges, procellariiform seabirds, and ratites.
- Thirteen other species of a type of bird known as the Hawaiian honeycreeper had also become instinct.
- These bright red rainforest honeycreepers have long, curved bills that are ideally suited for sipping nectar from Hawaiian lobelias.
Definition of honeycreeper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan