Definition of honeyeater in English:
An Australasian songbird with a long brushlike tongue for feeding on nectar.
- Family Meliphagidae: numerous species and genera
- Bell-birds and tuis - forest birds in the nectar-feeding family called honeyeaters - have brushlike tongues that enable them to lap up honeydew drops easily.
- Of the 170 species of honeyeaters in Australia and the Pacific Islands, only three - the tui, the bellbird, and the stitchbird (the latter surviving only on offshore islands) - are found in New Zealand.
- Still, bees are probably not as important to these mistletoes as native honeyeaters are, because the bees enter far fewer flowers.
Definition of honeyeater in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.