A violent young troublemaker, typically one of a gang.
More example sentences
- He said: "Obviously, the repeated vandalism of the statue is of great concern and hopefully the mindless hooligans responsible will be caught."
- Our evidence of the calibre of rank and file terrorists does not support the view that they are mindless hooligans drawn from the unemployed and the employable
- Seventy people, if you can call a screaming mob of hooligans human in any meaningful sense of the word, have been arrested for their role in the destruction of 18,000 books and 30,000 manuscripts.
late 19th century: perhaps from Hooligan, the surname of a fictional rowdy Irish family in a music-hall song of the 1890s, also of a character in a cartoon.
- More example sentences
- Why is it difficult for them to understand that violence and other forms of hooliganism will not provide solutions to their problems?
- We have problems such as graffiti, loutish behaviour, football hooliganism, rampant drug abuse and teenage pregnancies.
- But the new law also extends to a wide range of offences, including sports hooliganism and malicious damage.