(also hoolock gibbon)
Definition of hoolock in English:
A gibbon with white eyebrows, the male of which has black fur and the female golden, found from northeastern India to Burma (Myanmar).
- Hylobates hoolock, family Hylobatidae
- Information is so scanty regarding the hoolock gibbon (found in Yunnan, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Assam) and the white-cheeked gibbon (found in Yunnan, Laos and Vietnam) that their conservation status is not even defined.
- For a strictly arboreal species like the hoolock gibbon, a gap in the canopy is like a roadblock.
- The world of the hoolock gibbons in the Borajan reserve forest in Assam is dying, thanks to illegal tree-felling.
Early 19th century: perhaps from Bengali and imitative of the animal's cry.
Definition of hoolock in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.