(also hoolock gibbon)
Definition of hoolock in English:
A gibbon with white eyebrows, the male of which has black fur and the female golden, found from northeastern India to Burma (Myanmar).
- Hylobates hoolock, family Hylobatidae
- Information is so scanty regarding the hoolock gibbon (found in Yunnan, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Assam) and the white-cheeked gibbon (found in Yunnan, Laos and Vietnam) that their conservation status is not even defined.
- For a strictly arboreal species like the hoolock gibbon, a gap in the canopy is like a roadblock.
- The world of the hoolock gibbons in the Borajan reserve forest in Assam is dying, thanks to illegal tree-felling.
early 19th century: perhaps from Bengali and imitative of the animal's cry.
Definition of hoolock in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan