Definition of hopscotch in English:
A children’s game in which each child by turn hops into and over squares marked on the ground to retrieve a marker thrown into one of these squares.
- Children enjoy playing games such as hopscotch and hide-and-seek.
- The purpose of this event - which involved another 50 children - was to see if they would still play traditional street games like hopscotch in the absence of cars and traffic.
- As a youngster I would run screaming if any of my playmates were sick after eating too much ice-cream before a particularly vigorous game of hopscotch.
verb[no object] North American Back to top
Skip from place to place; move erratically: the blackouts hopscotched around eight Western states he hopscotched from Indonesia to Hong Kong to Australia to Japan
More example sentences
- You'll notice that since yesterday, the heliborne troops of the 101AB have moved far north of yesterday's position, hopscotching in their helicopters from one base to the next.
- Developments are hopscotching out to the cheapest land.
- After hopscotching from event to event in Nashua I found a T-Mobile hotspot at a Borders Books in town and jotted down the events in the post below.
Words that rhyme with hopscotchbutterscotch
Definition of hopscotch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan