Definition of horehound in English:
1A strong-smelling hairy plant of the mint family, with a tradition of use in medicine.
- Two species in the family Labiatae: white horehound (Marrubium vulgare), a widely distributed plant traditionally used as a medicinal herb, and black horehound (Ballota nigra), a Eurasian plant that has become naturalized in North America and was formerly reputed to cure the bite of a mad dog
- The herb garden shows off plants used in cooking, including several varieties of oregano, sage, and thyme to garlics and horehounds.
- One of my favorites is horehound, a robust plant that is nearly indestructible and produces clusters of small white flowers that draw tiny flies like magnets.
- Other herbs that might be used in tea or syrup to treat cough include horehound, sage and thyme.
1.1The bitter aromatic juice of white horehound, used especially in the treatment of coughs and colds.
- She recommends the use of psyllium for constipation, aloe for jaundice and horehound for cough.
- The old standby is hard candy made with horehound, but these herbal drops can be hard to find these days.
- Ancient Egyptians, Ayurvedic practitioners and Native American healers used horehound, another highly regarded herbal expectorant, as a cough remedy.
Old English hāre hūne, from hār (see hoar) + hūne, the name of the white horehound, also applied to related plants.
Definition of horehound in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan