Definition of hormone in English:
1A regulatory substance produced in an organism and transported in tissue fluids such as blood or sap to stimulate specific cells or tissues into action.
- These gonadotropins in turn stimulate synthesis of steroid hormones in target tissues.
- The gene altered in the giant rats makes the protein Leptin, a hormone released by fat cells as an appetite regulator.
- Insulin is the hormone which keeps blood sugar levels within the normal healthy range.
1.1A synthetic substance with an effect similar to that of an animal or plant hormone.
- The synthetic hormones have side effects, especially liver qi stagnation and blood stagnation.
- Anabolic steroids are synthetic hormones that cause the body to produce muscle and prevent muscle breakdown.
- The basic hormone on which all synthetic anabolic steroids are based.
1.2 (hormones) A person’s sex hormones as held to influence behavior or mood.
- And how can you trust your teenage opinion of people, when those opinions were being formed via rampaging hormones and juvenile mood swings?
- It may have been his hormones which improved his mood, as I watched him check her out constantly.
- Follow these steps to keep your hormones in balance - and your hormone-induced mood swings to a minimum.
Early 20th century: from Greek hormōn, present participle of horman 'impel, set in motion'.
- Example sentences
- The changes in the property of cervical mucus is in response to the hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle.
- Overtreatment of multiple hormonal imbalances can cause central obesity and atherogenic and metabolic abnormalities.
- Drugs, medications, hormonal imbalance, genetic conditions, and exogenous hormones can all cause gynaecomastia.
Words that rhyme with hormonepheromone • Oenone
Definition of hormone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan